Jovana Marović, the Executive Director of the Politikon Network, participated in the work of the Belgrade Security Forum (10-13 October 2017) within the session “What if the Western Balkans never become part of the European Union?”
Some of the issues that have been discussed during the session were:
• How to stop democratic backsliding in the Balkan states?
• How do the rising inequalities affect the dynamics between the Balkan states and the EU, as well as the regional dynamics?
• What are the new forms of popular unrest and resistance, and how to articulate their demands?
• How does the recent rise of populism across Europe affect populism in the Balkans?
• What is the role of Balkan civil society in the times of an uncertain EU future for this region?